So I was tasked with spending under $300 to create a computer worthy of playing Battlefield 2. That task wasn't that hard, especially since I have some spare parts lying around...
I had a case, a hard drive, CD-ROM drive, Windows XP Pro, and MS Office 2003 to spare. Since this computer's main focus was to create word documents and play BF2, the CD-ROM drive would suffice.
Anywho, I dug up my spare copy of Windows XP Pro (academic versions replaced my retail versions, so I reactivated a retail XP Pro) and I had a few open licenses to MS Office 2003... so I threw those in.
If I didn't have a spare license of MSOffice2003 I would have just installed OpenOffice.
Anywho, the final computer ended up being:
Athlon 64 3500+ with 1GB DDR1 RAM
Geforce 8600GT and 120GB Hard Drive/CD-ROM drive
Windows XP Pro all running on a 450watt PSU
Yea, I went with the 8600GT since after a rebate it was only $80... I was going for lowest of the low with the ability to play BF2. After putting everything together I was happy to see BF2 runs very smooth at 1280x1024. Everyone's happy with this computer. I spent about $280 in parts and that was with tax and shipping. I suppose if you didn't have a copy of Windows lying around you could tack on about $150 for a license of XP Pro... Still a pretty good frugal computer and the most important thing is that it does what it needs to do with the budget that we had to accomodate for.
I did a stress test on the Power Supply I went with and it does great. It is a 450watt that we grabbed for about $40 and although it is on the light side, the power coming out of the unit is spot on and after the two days of straight testing it still holds up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment