Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Set Necks are better. For ALL guitars

I play guitar. My guitars are all bolt-ons because they are lower-end and cheaper. Yes, I know there are expensive bolt-ons, but for the most part, the higher-end guitars that are well-sought after have set necks or are neck-through. This adds a solid feel, eliminating the possibility of a loose-fitting neck socket.

RedOctane chose to make the necks detachable for Guitar Hero 3's guitars. Why? I have no idea. Probably for easy portability. Granted, it now fits in my backpack, but I had no problem carrying my GH guitars around before. They added another point of failure, and one that has been plaguing many a GH3 owner. Myself included.

I was worried that the GH3 guitar problems (necks not fitting snug, buttons not responding, buttons cutting out) would plague me, but when I was looking around about the issue, I couldn't see many posts regarding it. I thought I'd try my luck with the 360 version and bought it. Unfortunately, I had the same problems.

I cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol and even used double-sided tape to keep the thing snug. Didn't work. I upgraded to 3M industrial strength double-sided tape (the same kind used to hold fiberglass car accents onto car lips/hoods/etc) and it didn't help. A slight wiggle and the buttons would cease to function.

I swapped the guitar to the X-Plorer wired guitar (yanno, the one that came with Guitar Hero 2 for the 360) and I'm having a breeze now. I can finally hold notes and activate star power without worrying about the note cutting out. I can do fast hammer ons and pull offs and have all the buttons register. I was worried that I was losing it, but confirmed it to be just the hardware.

This is a time when I CAN blame it on the guitar. I also have the Wii version here to try out and I hope I'm not met with the same results. I've put the Wii guitar together and it feels a bit sturdier. I noticed the connectors are different between the 360 and Wii versions, so this might be a better guitar. We'll see when I get to playing the Wii version.

No comments: